Compensation For Your Damages And Losses Caused By Medication Errors In Ohio
Medication errors are not uncommon in any medical setting. In some hospitals, medication errors that lead to adverse patient outcomes happen weekly. Errors in pharmacies, hospitals, urgent care facilities, assisted living homes and nursing homes can be made by any medical professional, from original prescription to filling to administering a dosage.
How Do Medication Errors Happen?
Doctors may misdiagnose a condition, resulting in a prescription error for the wrong medication. A nurse may give you the wrong dosage, or you may take home the wrong medication from the pharmacy.
Common causes of medication errors include:
- Poor communication between health care providers or between providers and patients
- Mixing up similar-sounding drug names
- Mixing up patient names
- Failure to complete a full health assessment
- Problems with drug supplies and storage
- Staffing problems
- Interruptions and distractions during drug administration
Mistakes can cause overdoses, allergic reactions, improper drug administration and other adverse drug events that cause severe injuries and fatalities. Improper dosages account for over 40 percent of fatal medication errors, according to the FDA, and nearly half of fatalities occur in people over the age of 60.
Common overdoses occur with:
- Acetaminophen: The active ingredient in Tylenol, DayQuil and other over-the-counter drugs (often when more than one drug containing acetaminophen is taken at once)
- Ibuprofen: The active ingredient in Advil, Motrin and many other painkillers
- Bupropion: The active ingredient in Zyban (smoking cessation drug) and Wellbutrin (depression drug) – both may be prescribed at once
When mistakes are preventable and in the control of health care providers, medical malpractice claims may be warranted.
Contact Us If You Or A Loved One Has Been Harmed By A Medication Error
At Leeseberg & Valentine, we help people throughout Ohio who have been injured by medication errors. We understand the complexities of these cases, and our lawyers are always prepared for trial.
Our founding partners, Gerry Leeseberg and Anne Valentine, are certified civil trial advocates by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. We consult with some of the world’s top medical specialists who also serve as expert witnesses in our clients’ cases, and we have full-time nurses on staff who assist with the investigation and preparation of all our cases.
Based in Columbus, we are well-known for securing some of the top medical malpractice verdicts and settlements in the state.
Schedule A Free Case Consultation
Please call us today at 614-221-2223 or contact us online for a free consultation and case evaluation with an attorney. We cover all legal costs and only get paid if we recover compensation on your behalf.