Gerry Leeseberg is a partner at the firm of Leeseberg & Valentine and is well known as being one of the most successful trial lawyers in Ohio. Gerry has represented hundreds of clients in state and federal courts throughout Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Florida, Texas, Missouri, Kentucky and West Virginia. In Ohio, he has obtained four of the largest medical malpractice verdicts in Franklin County, as well as record high verdicts in other counties. His primary focus is on Medical Malpractice, Product Liability, Personal Injury, Trucking and Automobile Accidents, and Aviation Acccidents.
Gerry is a Past President of the Central Ohio Association for Justice. He has served on the Board of the Ohio Association for Justice, and for several terms as the Chair of the OAJ Medical Negligence Section. He serves as a leglislative liaison for the OAJ in the Ohio Legislature, working to protect the rights of tort victims. He was Board Certified in Civil Litigation by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, has been included in the “Best Trial Lawyer in America” list since 1994, and named as one of Ohio’s “Super Lawyers.”
Several of his cases established important precedent and are consistently cited on issues of tort law, damages, and evidence in the State of Ohio, including:
- expanding scope and definition of “next of kin” who may recover in wrongful death claims, to include grandparents.
- prohibiting use of patient’s prior health history as evidence of comparative negligence in medical malpractice claims.
- allowing use of medical publications by defense expert on cross-examination of other defense experts.
- precluding use of “foreseeability” instruction in medical malpractice claim based on likelihood of injury.
Most recently, Gerry has been selected to be featured in Columbus CEO magazine’s “Top Lawyer” issue for April 2015. Based on Avvo’s rating system, he was identified as being among an elite group of Columbus lawyers recognized for their legal abilities and professional ethical standards.
- Bowling Green State University, BLS, magna cum laude, 1976
- Ohio State University College of Law, juris doctorate, 1979
- Ohio Super Lawyer (2005-2015)
- Best Trial Lawyers in America
- Ohio Association for Justice, President’s Distinguished Service Award (2011, 2013)
- Central Ohio Association for Justice, President’s Distinguished Service Award (2013)
- Invited Member American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Invited Member Blue Book Society of Distinguished Attorneys
- American Association for Justice (formerly ATLA)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Ohio Association for Justice (formerly OATL)
- Past Representative at Large
- Past Chair, Medical Negligence Section
- Legislative Committee
- Central Ohio Association for Justice (formerly FCTLA)
- Past President
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Franklin County Common Pleas Court Docket Committee